How To Apply
The Senior Architect contributes to technical strategy and practices of the Kalamuna team, proposes architectural direction and implementation strategy, and often acts as a technical lead on web development projects. You’ll lead technical discovery and work with the design team in early project phases to build a bridge to implementation. You will consider technology ecosystems, integrations, and the general solutioning of problems with an eye towards scope and a goal to provide value to our mission-driven clients. You will lead technical requirements gathering and define implementation strategies.
You are an advocate for common processes and solutions so that we can deliver impactful solutions, achieve the benefits of automation, and excel as a team. You are helping assess and adopt new technologies, and deprecate old ones. You are an innovator, both in project spaces and outside of them, by participating in research and development activities. You engage in continuous learning, enjoy teamwork, collaboration, and mentoring more junior teammates. This role reports to the Director of Technology.
Candidates for this full-time (32-40h/wk) remote position must reside in the US or Canada. If you’re a recruiter or agency, please don’t contact us.
- Excellent communication skills. Not only do we like talking, you’ll also be speaking with our wonderful clients.
- Able to work independently while staying in sync with the rest of the team. Able to help, brainstorm and find solutions that fit not only client needs but also needs of your team.
- Attention to detail. Strong accountability and work ethic is a must.
- Understand Agile methodologies and be able to scope tasks and estimate anticipated effort that solve problems within the project budget
- Mastery of web fundamentals. You must know how to bend the internet to your will using our basic tech (HTML, CSS, JS, PHP). Please give us work samples (projects, code, URLs) so we can admire your masterpieces.
- Live, dream and breathe Drupal. You’re a strong believer in open source, and an established Drupal community member.
- Deep expertise with the Drupal API and module development. You know when to site build, and when to get deep into code.
- Broad experience with Drupal cloud hosting providers (Pantheon, Acquia)
- A breadth of experience integrating technologies via APIs and web services.
- Employed DevOps strategies, including continuous integration, testing, deployment, and truly owning the toolchain
- Excellent Git skills and branching wizardry
- Familiarity with local development tools. You are comfortable to setup and maintain your own development environment
- Understanding of Drupal and PHP coding standards and best practices
- Deep expertise and understanding of component-based development and architectural patterns
- Experience meeting accessibility best practices and testing for them
- Understanding of website security, performance and scalability
- Understanding of browser testing
Bonus points if you know about
- Strong writing skills
- CRM integrations
- Frontend development, and frameworks such as React, Angular or Vue
- Node.js (at minimum as a compiler)
- Other platforms like Wordpress, Gatsby
- Decoupled models and architectures
- Search technologies like SOLR and Elastic Search
- SEO concepts, and methodologies for improving organic search ranking
- Digital analytics, particularly Google Analytics and Tag Manager
- QA practices, including automated testing, and regression testing
Working With Us
People are at the ♥ of everything we do.
Kalamuna is driven by a civic spirit to help socially impactful institutions, nonprofits, and governments better communicate with constituents and do right by the people they serve. We bring digital communications to life for organizations as varied as Fair Trade USA, GreenBiz, the American Foundation for the Blind, the Environmental Defence Fund, the Smithsonian, UC Berkeley, Stanford, and the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco.
Kalamuna’s mission is to empower our clients with the research, strategy, design, and technology that will transform their organizations to better serve the needs of their audiences and communities. Kalamuna aligns itself in this manner to make each of our client’s missions our mission. We seek to be impactful, not only for our clients and partners but for the social good of our communities.
We’re committed to your excellence and continued development; we’re in this together. Kalamuna offers many benefits, including paid holidays, PTO, paid bereavement leave, parental leave, health insurance, long and short-term disability, a continued learning & travel stipend, an equipment fund, and retirement funds with 3% match. We offer flexibility in work hours and accomodations. When pandemic-free, we organize company-wide gatherings like team building workshops, conferencing, and additional fun.
We’re looking for individuals with a broad range of interests and experiences to be their authentic selves. Your story, your passion is what interests us most. Meet some of our team at https://youtu.be/K1rtt6oKGEs.
Commitment to Diversity
Kalamuna is committed to eradicating institutional discrimination and bias and to uplifting the lived experiences of all minorities.
As such, Kalamuna welcomes applications from all backgrounds, particularly from people of color; women; LGBTQ2S+ people; immigrants or refugees; people who are differently-abled; and people from low- or moderate-income backgrounds. Kalamuna is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, height, weight, disability status, veteran status, military obligations, marital status and policy party affiliation, or on any other basis that complies with applicable laws.
If you’re a recruiter or agency, please don’t contact us. No exceptions.