Common Sense (commonsense.org) is the nation's leading nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of all kids and families by providing the trustworthy information, education, and independent voice they need to thrive in the 21st century.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent, age-based, and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Target.com, Xfinity, Apple TV, and many other partner platforms helping families make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, and concerned parents, caregivers, and teachers to improve the media and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
We are seeking a highly motivated QA Engineer who can create and maintain automated tests for our flagship Common Sense Media website and API, as well as serve as a manual QA black-box tester for both our website and native apps. This position requires you to collaborate with various people across the organization, although be working primarily with the Engineering and Product teams.
We are looking for someone who is a self-starter, very detail-oriented, proactive, can work well independently as well as collaboratively with the full team, and is a strong driver for results and continual improvement. The ideal candidate will have a strong technical background in QA automation and experience in testing both iOS and Android apps. We're also looking for someone with demonstrated technical leadership and exceptional interpersonal skills.
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-time, exempt
REPORTS TO: QA Engineer
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA; option to work remotely
Please note: If this role allows for remote work, we will consider applicants for employment in the following states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, IL, IN, MA, ME, MI, NC, NE, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TN, TX, and WA.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Partner with the Engineering team to update current frameworks and design and build new automation frameworks.
- Manage the full life cycle of all identified bugs on the Production site. This includes managing the process for internal staff to submit bugs, logging the Jira tickets defining the bug, ensuring an engineer is assigned to the bug, and managing communication as the bug is resolved.
- Maintain a consistent line of communication with Member Services to test and escalate reproducible bug reports coming in from users.
- Create and maintain proper documentation for all the work in Confluence/GDrive.
- Work closely with our developers and dev ops team to integrate tests into code release cycles.
- Attend all sprint planning meetings, ensure all tickets have enough requirements documented for accurate QA, and determine if the overall sprint load is acceptable for QA.
- Should be able to switch projects based on priorities set by the product managers.
- Be online during all releases prior to a scheduled release, and remain online at least until all core functionality and priority tickets have been validated.
WHAT YOU BRING:
- Strong knowledge of SDLC and 4+ years of experience working as a quality assurance engineer in an Agile environment.
- Experience with modern programming languages: PHP, JS, SQL, CSS, HTML.
- Proven understanding of PHP application development and testing.
- Proficiency in Python; hands-on experience with Python scripting.
- Expertise with QA automation tools and methodologies (both website and native app) required.
- Bug tracking and documentation using Jira and Confluence.
- Extensive experience with web-based technologies, including front end (UI), back end (web servers & databases), and mobile native apps (iOS and Android).
- Demonstrated success in creating an automation framework from scratch and maintaining on the go.
- Experience with testing frameworks and tools: Selenium/WebDriver (UI automation), Postman (REST API testing), Robot.
- Proven track record of delivering projects on time with good quality.
- Extensive experience having worked on large-scale sites (1 million+ monthly users) is a plus.
- Experience with testing e-commerce and other payment gateway applications is a plus.
- Experience with Salesforce and Stripe integration preferred.
- Experience with Drupal-9 preferred.
- Experience with automating mobile app tests preferred.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The chance to work with a great team of talented, passionate developers and product people who have worked together for a long time and love what they're doing.
- Competitive health benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and a matching 401(k).
- An organization that offers work-life balance.
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids and families!
Common Sense values the diversity of its employees and is an equal-opportunity employer. For more information on our values, please visit our statement on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Common Sense will consider employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. However, job offers are made on the condition that the applicant subsequently passes a criminal background check. If the background check indicates a prior criminal conviction, we will conduct an individualized assessment to determine whether the conviction should result in a denial of employment.